E&O Part 6: Where and How Do You Get E&O Insurance?

POSTED ON December 26, 2017 / IN Documentary Toolkit


Steven Beer, Jake Levy & Neil Rosini

This Q&A was originally published in the Fall 2017 issue of Documentary magazine, a publication of the International Documentary Association, a nonprofit media arts organization based in Los Angeles.

To secure E&O insurance for a project, specialized licensed brokers will seek competitive bids from qualified insurers on behalf of the production company. It is important to speak with a knowledgeable entertainment insurance broker to evaluate different types of coverage available and obtain price quotations.

As a first step, a producer will need to submit a detailed policy application including an opinion letter from legal counsel. These documents will be reviewed by a lawyer for the insurer. Usually  a week or two goes by before the coverage can be put into place — assuming the insurer accepts —  so producers should allow sufficient time to satisfy delivery deadlines.

Leave a Reply